Big Step!

After weeks of talking about it, today I finally did it and drove myself to work and back. 60 miles round trip.

I got up at my “normal” time (well, a little later) and left the house at my normal time to get to work at my normal time. Things were….well….normal! LOL

It really felt good. I was a little nervous leaving the driveway, but as soon as I hit the road, it felt very routine. My car could probably drive that route by itself anyway. It was 5 below zero out, but the roads were clear & dry.

I made myself stay very alert and got stuck behind the school bus traffic, so the other cars weren’t going any faster than me, so that was good.

Once I reached the interstate it felt as if nothing had changed. I even swore at an idiot who was driving like on. Just like old times.

My reality check was when I exited and almost rear-ended a pick-up truck. It was then I realized I had let my guard down on the interstate…I cannot do that just yet. I can’t rely on my brain to trigger those reflexes instinctively just yet. I have to stay aware – all the time when behind the wheel. Which can tire me out as well.

By the time I got to the parking lot at work, my eyes were aching and my head was a little sore, but really not too bad. Very doable. I was pleased to have made it.

I worked for four hours and left at noon. I didn’t want to push it in case I would have trouble on the drive home.My head and eyes were bothering me just a little bit. Of course I picked the coldest day of the winter to go out, but again, once I hit the road, I felt fine.

The drive home was uneventful and I stayed far more alert. There was also less traffic at that hour than first thing in the morning.

When I got home, I was very, very tired. More like I haven’t slept in two days. That kind of hazy,mrunning-on-fumes sleepiness. I ate some lunch, called my mother to tell her the good news, then promptly fell asleep on the couch while “resting” my eyes.

Overall, I’m really pleased with myself and the fact I wasn’t overwhelmed and in horrible pain when I got home. I hope to try this three days next week and build up from there. Guess I better start getting some exercise.

This was a big step for me and one I needed to do. I may feel like crap tomorrow, but at least I know I can do it…aneurysm be damned!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s