Post-Op Follow Up Appointment

Here’s what I know 5 days later:

•I’ll be on Plavix and Aspirin for at least 3 months.
•The coiling will possibly be scheduled for the end of April. Probably the 20th or the 27th. Dr. Ecker leaves for Finland for three weeks in May to study with a top surgeon there and he wants to make sure he has a follow-up appointment with me before he leaves.
•He doesn’t feel the dizziness and acid reflux are a result of the stenting. I’m checking into one more medication issue with my reg. Dr. now that what I’m experiencing isn’t a common after-effect of stenting. He almost felt it might be from being taken OFF the prozac because of its complication with Plavix.
•The Dr. said if I’m still having dizzy issues at the end of the week to give him a call and he’d order up another CT Scan.
•He said, once I’m not dizzy (LOL), I can have a drink or two. Yippee!! I have some Guinness waiting in the fridge for me to have my delayed St Patrick’s Day drink when the time comes.
•He performed the usual balance and vision tests on me. Had to walk in a straight line forwards and backwards and follow the number of fingers he’s holding up, etc. I passed, even though I did lose my balance briefly and had to grab his leg for support. Ooops! Was that inappropriate? His leg was closer than Dave’s was. LOL
•I’ll still have to continue to take the 4 propholactic antibiotics before every dental visit. Probably the rest of
my life.

I love his confidence with what he does. It really rubs off. I asked him so many questions about things I could and shouldn’t be doing like gardening or soaking in the tub. He basically said, unless something occurs, continue with my life as I lived it prior to the stent insertion. I think he deals with a LOT of elderly people so having a younger person he can joke with and encourage to live my life and enjoy it, is probably
a nice change.

He showed us the images taken during my procedure and pointed out the stent. It sure is an odd shaped artery, but the
stent opens up the walls very, very well. Dr. Ecker seemed to think coiling wouldn’t be an issue at all now. He did start to try coiling during the procedure last week, but during that process the lower part of the artery “shut down”, meaning I had a vasospam and he had to inject me with some Nitroglycerin. In looking at the notes Dr. Kwan reported after my initial coiling in 2006, the same thing happened in that surgery too, so I guess it’s a really good thing it happens on the table, that’s for sure.

Dr. Ecker was also VERY pleased to see the vascular arterial structure on the right side of my brain and all around
the aneurysms looked very good. So, I was happy he was happy.

Dave and I discussed any symptoms to look for in the next few days, but Dr. Ecker was quick to point out that the first 6 hours after the procedure then the next 24 hours were the most critical and he felt I was doing very well. Tell my head, throat, bruises and dizziness that! I got no sleep last night because of this new acid reflux crap along with a dandy headache, so I ended up sitting up in the wing back chair all night. Which I’m sure just does wonders for my neck and my back. I just popped two pills to help with the headache I’ve had all day.

Things To Do This Week

Yes, this week has finally come.

Wednesday (16th) I will have more coils added to my brain aneurysm after it was discovered in January that the 16 platinum coils that were inserted back in 2006
when it ruptured were either compacting or the aneurysm was growing and blood was flowing back into it. Since it’s an aneurysm that has already ruptured
once, everyone felt it was important to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

The 2nd smaller aneurysm will be monitored. Right now there doesn’t appear to be a risk of rupture with that one, so it’s a wait-and-see-what-it-does kind of a mode. It may never grow or need any treatment…or it may grow or rupture. Who knows! Ah, the lovely, complicated, wonderful brain!

The hope is that they’ll do the coiling, I’ll be in ICU possibly just overnight, and I’ll be released to go home the following day (St. Patrick’s Day!). And if all goes well, that should be the case.

I have a small collection of things to take with me to the hospital on Wednesday. My “Get-Better-Bear” Care Bear my sister sent me in 2006, my comfy clothes for the ride back home, and I’m taking my iPad with me to keep me occupied. I have synced up an entire season of The Dick Van Dyke show on NetFlix as well as some podcasts. I know I won’t get any sleep in the hospital…they truly aren’t restful, but they treat you VERY well at Maine Medical Center. I had 20 days in the hospital in 2006 to witness that.

I’m told I may be very tired for some time (possibly weeks) after the procedure and may have a headache after the coiling. I know my groin will be sore. If you’re not familiar with endovascular coiling, here is good explanation. It’s ironic to have brain surgery and your groin to be the incision, but that’s one of the beauties of having coiling verses the far more invasive and dangerous
clipping
, where they open the skull and perform open brain surgery.

It’s still a procedure on your brain, however and one that is not without complications. I’m confident with my Dr. that he’ll do what needs to be done and do it well. I only plan to take four days off work.

I know I’m lucky and I’m blessed with each day I wake up Dave and our kitties. May the luck of the Irish be with me this week!

Time

I’ve had several weeks, and a few more yet, to think about and process my upcoming re-coiling of my brain aneurysm. The mix of emotions and thoughts that goes through one’s head when you have the time is amazing! I’ve had every emotion you can
imagine…and then some.

But, the difference this time as opposed to the emergency situation in 2006, is that I can “plan” some things. I’ve recorded some of my favorite movies on our DVR to watch while I’m recovering at home. I’m going to stock up on my favorite teas to enjoy afterwards and I’m making sure financial bills and other important things are taken care of prior to 3/16. I wasn’t given that luxury in 2006. So many people aren’t given the luxury of worrying about it after a rupture either. I’m one of the lucky ones, even though I still have another aneurysm sitting there, I’m waking up each day. Yes, I’m one of the lucky ones, even though I have to worry and plan for weeks and weeks. I should feel lucky I have the opportunity to do so. Right? Right.

Additional Coiling

Just got back from the Dr. in Scarborough. We had a real good, hour-long meeting with him to discuss procedures and risks. At the end of the hour, I decided to have the recoiling done with a possibility of a stent, but only if he sees there might be an issue with recoiling that area of the larger aneurysm. It doesn’t appear he’s concerned there will be issues, but just in case his first coil doesn’t want to stay put or something, he’ll put the stent in, then I’ll come back for more coiling 6 weeks later. He didn’t seem overly alarmed with any serious risks to the recoiling. There is a slightly higher risk with the stent, but I’m right there on the table so if something does happen, they can address right there and then.

I keep calling it recoiling, but it’s technically additional coiling being added.

I feel confident that this is the best thing to do at the moment. He also wants to get a non-invasive image of the smaller aneurysm so that it can be monitored in the future without having to go in via the groin on a yearly basis, which I’m fine with. They may order a CTA scan while I’m in the hospital at the same time.

They’re scheduling surgeries for March right now, so I’ll have all February to think about it…or not! Then he’s away in Finland for the month of April working with a high-ranking surgeon over there. I’m hoping the coiling is scheduled for very early March, but we’ll see.

Dr. Ecker performs elective surgeries (clipping and coiling) on Wednesdays. I’ll need to be put on a regimen of Plavix and Aspirin four days prior to the procedure and that’s only in case the stent will be inserted to keep the blood thin and prevent any clotting. If the coiling goes well and I don’t need the stent, then I can stop the aspirin and plavix. If he puts the stent in, then I need to keep up with those meds until after the other coiling is done and possibly for several years after depending on how my blood flow is.

Confused yet? LOL Here’s the Reader’s Digest version:
1) Schedule procedure for March
2) Start Aspirin/Plavix regimen Sunday prior to procedure
3) Coils added to large Aneurysm.
4) Stay in hospital overnight for monitoring
5) Leave hospital next day
6) Possible two or three days off from work after that

If the coils don’t “take”, a stent will be inserted the same day and I’ll have to go back six weeks later for coiling. The reason he puts the stent in then waits six weeks is to give
the stent time to adjust to its surroundings and not move during coiling, which makes sense.

I think I’m in good hands and I’m feeling good about just knowing what we’re going to do now. Still some minor risks involved, but he really calmed my fears and put me at ease knowing he’s done hundreds of these and really knows what he’s doing.

I’m on an aspirin test tonight. I thought I was allergic to aspirin and it made my heart race, but it might be something else. We’ll find out!!

So, all of you re-coilers might be getting questions from me in the next month!