Cerebral Angiogram #10

That’s right. I’ve had 10 angiograms. I’m so well-versed on this procedure that the nurse said I could do my own IV Friday morning. I respectfully declined and left the experts to attend to that task.

The procedure was rescheduled for very early in the morning. We had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am, which meant leaving our house at 5 am…which in turn meant the alarm went off at 4 am. I call that the pre-butt-crack of dawn.

As usual the entire staff in radiology at Maine Medical Center is top-notch and I was well taken care of. The only different this time from the last 9 angiograms is that Dave was not allowed in the hospital due to the high numbers of Covid19 STILL active in Maine.

It was very difficult for Dave to not be with me and it was very odd not having him with me. He’s usually a chatty-Kathy with all of the nurses, doctors, and attendants and that creates a good distraction for me. This time it was just me laying there by myself waiting for things to happen. Not awful, just odd. And of course, my thoughts went to those families around the country and around the world who weren’t able to be with their dying relatives and how awful that must have been and continues to be.

My sweet anesthesiologist Ally (not sure about the spelling) was great in listening to me when I expressed my concerns about pain when the catheter is inserted and afterwards if a plug is needed in the incision site. Thankfully, because this was just a diagnostic procedure and there were no implements being entered into my brain, the plug was not needed. And because she administered some pain killer before the catheter was used I never felt it going in and didn’t even realize the actual procedure had started! That’s a first!

I kept waiting for some verbal communication that the catheter was being used and things were getting started, but it never happened. I moved my head slightly, which is a big no-no and the doctor immediately said “Don’t move you head, Heidi!”. It was only then that I realized, “Oh, things have started!”.

The reason for this angiogram was to get a clearer set of images of my first brain aneurysm and determine if the change seen on the MRA from December is dramatic or something small that isn’t a concern right now. He also took some 3D images, which are fascinating to see and can be compared to the series of images taken in 2015.

The contrast dye entering your brain is an odd and uncomfortable feeling. Kind of painful, but not really and it only last a brief time. The 3D imaging is also odd. Not really painful, just a strange sensation and you see little flashing sparkles. At least I think that was the 3D…I may be confusing the dye and the 3D. Hey, I was a little drugged. Both experiences are strange, but thankfully brief.

The good news during the procedure was the declaration from Dr. Ecker that he had a good look around everywhere else and there were no NEW brain aneurysm. Yes, that’s great news! But I was still concerned about the problem child and he quickly indicated that he really wanted to compare the images taken today with those from 2015 before giving us any kind of indication about what’s going on.

My post-op recovery from the angiogram went very well, with no issues. Again, the nursing staff are terrific. One has to lay flat for at least two-hours afterwards to give the incision site time to heal and for the team to make sure there are no issues with blood flow. I don’t recall so much attention being paid to the pulse in my feet before. I know it’s been done before, but it just seemed really extensive this time with two black marks being drawn on each foot, that are still not coming off two days later.

Post-op was strange without Dave there to grab my purse and cut my sandwich…grab water for me, help me balance to put on my socks, etc. The nurses were very helpful as usual and they grabbed my cell phone out of my purse for me so I could send Dave a photo and a text to let him know I was doing okay and when he could meet me outside to go home.

Because I don’t know what’s going on yet, I can’t report much today. The doctor did call Dave afterwards and indicated once he compares images, he may be contacting other doctors he knows around the world to discuss putting a modern stent inside an older stent. It’s not that common, but it has been done and he wants to get their input. I respect that and glad he has some terrific colleagues out there from around the world to draw on their expertise.

Dave also said he told him the artery where my brain aneurysm is, is a challenge due to it’s shape and form. Goody. I know Dr. Ecker has spoken about doing some kind of bi-pass basically shutting down that section of the artery if blood flow can continue to flow normally without it. That would need a BOT or balloon occlusion test….something we were going to do many years ago, but decided not to. It may be needed now. I just don’t know yet.

We got home from the hospital about mid-afternoon and I was exhausted. I lay on the couch resting my leg and fell asleep many times. Also drank a lot of water to get the contrast dye and the happy meds out of my body. I had a slight headache for a day and a half, and the incision site on my groin was a little sore. They must have had to pinch my skin, as a lovely black & blue mark developed well below the site. It’s a little sore, but already feeling better. Still not exerting myself too much and taking it easy for another day. I’m an expert at that.

So, I sit and wait for word. This isn’t anything new for me, and that’s frustrating because this same aneurysm is still being an issue 15 years later. I’m hopeful recent medical technology and procedures can assist in making a more permanent resolution.

In the meantime, I continue to LIVE with brain aneurysms. Stay tuned and thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers I have received on social media.

One thought on “Cerebral Angiogram #10

  1. Hi Heidi, Wow, thanks for the blow by blow descriptions…wow again…thank you so much for sharing your stories that helped all of us learning from a distance before we get see it up close and personal! Congrats on your tenth!!! Tom B


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s